Monday, April 2, 2012

Weekend Stranger

This past weekend was a lot of fun.  I drank and ate more in those 2 days than I have in a long time.  I got to meet someone from out of town that also happens to maybe be romantically involved with a mutual friend of my husband and I.  He flew down from Minnesota to "hang out at the lan party". Bullshit dude, you came down to see Mary, we know. It's ok.  I know you want to keep it on the down but you're not fooling anyone.
Anyway, Joe was a super nice guy.  Fun guy to drink and eat with anyway.  We had a "Body Movin'" moment with the Jukebox at The Nachbar up the street, so he's cool in my book.

Our Friday started with seeing my nephews first musical.  Matt began dressing up for the occasion and when I revealed by surprise he says "What?  It's a play."  No, it's a five year olds play.  But naturally I had to live up to his high dressing standards and also dress up fancy pants.  There was a near slip in the cafeteria/gym of my twin nephews school where I could have face planted in my neat ass old style lady's shoes if I wasn't quick like a mongoose.  I was probably standing over 6 foot in those heels so there's no way that slip went unnoticed.   It was hilarious to listen to all of the children either screaming into the microphone, or talking too low, or all up on it so it sounds like a swarm of bees strapped in wool socks.
My husband Matt carrying one of the twins, Callum
after their performance.

I realized that the second time I wore this fancy outfit now and still I didn't get a decent photo of Matt and I.  Pshh.

We left there and went to Coals on Frankfort Avenue.  They serve a slightly Italian menu but their whole deal is the coal fired oven where they make some really fantastic pizzas.  Their pizzas are all named after parts of town so I was a little put off by the fact they didn't have a Germantown pizza.  It would probably only have beer on it anyway, so maybe that's for the better.  We had the Waverly and the Middletown pizzas.  The Waverly was more like a sweet pizza with it's fig jam all over the top but it was incredible.  The Middletown was kind of basic pizza to me.  I'm much more excited when it's something new and different, I suppose.  The Waverly went fast between 7 of us.

Mary had to haggle with the chef of this place to allow her to bring in this cake that he made for Joe's birthday... and what a cake it was.  Cherry chocolate brandy something or other.  Apparently she soaked the cherries in brandy for a week before starting on the cake.  Then each layer was drizzled in it's own brandy.  Each cherry was like a shot of booze and the bottom layer was saturated to the point everyone felt like they just chugged a glass of brandy straight.  It was amazing, but I think the potency embarrassed Mary a bit.  She kept apologizing about it.  Don't you worry, no one is blaming you, exactly.. It's just your fault I'm drunk, that's all.
Joe and the incredible Brandy cake

After, she was charged with the task of following me back home before we went to the Nachbar for drinks.  I figured we might as well, even though we are not by any means bar people.  This guy seemed nice enough and the dinner was enjoyable, and I like Mary so we might as well use our one social outing day in the year to spend it with these guys.  We pumped quarters into the jukebox and played everything we possibly could on four dollars.  I only bought my first drink and anything else after that apparently went onto Mary's tab.  She enjoyed the sight of me drink way too much.  She won't see it often so might as well enjoy it while it lasts.  This was all Friday, and Sunday when we met up for dinner she told me how hilarious it was to see me drunk and that I was all wide eyed and grinning, something about resembling a squirrel.  I dont even remember half the shit we talked about, I do remember getting to see Brian Williams (a co-worker of Matt's) which I haven't seen in forever.  He's a super guy.  I also got to meet Trey? I think his name was, who is also a co-worker of theirs.  Surrounded by Geek Squad employees pretty much all weekend.

The next morning, after realizing my head ache will not go away by any means, I spent most of it hammering down eggs in a basket, coffee, and episodes of The Office until I could finally stand on my feet without feeling like I might shit and puke myself into little circles around the house.

I watched video of my father's memorial run that they held in Alice Springs with his motorcycle club and friends.  It made me cry, and just in time to go out in public and pretend like everything's ok.
My dad's memorial ride in Alice Springs, Au. "Gunn Run"


We had to pick up some supplies and head over to Rohanne and Anna-Lina's (my sister in law and brother in law, Matt's sister), because we were throwing somewhat of a surprise party for Matt's uncle.  By the time we got over there the weather was great and I mostly lounged about, attempted to draw a bit (although my likeness of Kurt was ghastly), and drank NON-alcoholic beverages while they kept checking the score of the Wildcats/Cardinals game and cooked food, made fun of Kurt for being so old, and etc etc etc.  It was a good time, I really like spending time with Rohanne, and I was sorry to see Anna-Lina had to work at all costs that evening because of that basketball game.  I hope she made great tips that night.

My dorky-ass self enjoying a non-alcoholic coconut beverage.
As it was Joe's birthday the night before, and Matt's friends managed to make the poor guy puke once Mary got him back to her place, this day in the sun was uncle Kurt's birthday yet there was a mysterious lack of Brandy cake on Saturday.  I surely was not  missing it by then, though.  Matt's mom made an incredible Hazelnut/Almond/Vanilla puzzle cake that I destroyed like it was the first piece of cake I've ever eaten, and as you can see from my photo, it was NOT.  We also, oddly enough, found out by surprise that Rohanne is allergic to hazelnut.  He knew this.. my mother-in-law did not.  Shame, too, because that cake seriously was amazing.  I think Christine needs to go back to being a pastry chef, but I want her to keep her cakes out of my home for my own sake.  The Wildcats won the basketball game, although I couldn't care less, and over all I enjoyed myself quite a bit.  We left from there at around 8pm to come and take care of the dogs for the night and.. presumably watch more episodes of The Office before passing out.
Rohanne and the cake that could have killed him

Sundays are laundry days at my mom's house.  My step-dad's mother has been living with them so I get to see her on a weekly basis as well.  Apparently my step-dad and mom getting to see her on a daily basis is starting to take its told on their sanity.  Floyd isn't quite as accommodating toward her very need as when she first got there, but it's great that he gets to spend time with his mother.  It was pretty laid back, we spent most of the day outside once the rain stopped.  Picked up some new sheets for the bed, finished up our laundry and then headed out to meet Mary and Joe for one last time before we left for Minnesota at Four Pegs, home of the chicken and waffle sandwich.  I have not had this sandwhich yet, and I will probably never have it.  Last time I went I had fish and chips, and this time I decided to have fried green tomatoes and the veggie burger.  Both very good.  Their serving style is lacking, and I wish they had an actual waitress that could bring me a beer outside instead of me having to go back inside to get a refill, but of the two times I've been to Four Pegs I've liked it a great deal.  Plus you can't beat that it's within walking distance.  Both visits we just trucked it up the hill, basically, and then back again after dinner.  I realized you can play a game with the little tablet number tags they give you.  The outdoor tables are that wire mesh and if you jam the corner of the plastic tag you can flick it up and over the table, possible hitting the person sitting across from you, but even better if you can get it into a beer glass sitting in the center of the table.  From now on, for forever, this will be a Four Pegs game.  The conversation at dinner this night was mostly Geek Squad related so I sat, slowly discovering my new game, and mostly staring up at the sky.
I warned Joe before we parted ways, that we might hit him up if we're in Minnesota this summer.  Otherwise I look forward to hearing about how he and Mary's relationship progresses from Mary, and possibly getting to hang out with him again in the future.
Good weekend, good friends, good food.
Miss you, dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment